AVA Dental Referral Clinic is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
The practice aims to meet the requirements of the Data Protection Act 2018, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR] and the guidelines on the Information Commissioner’s website as well as our professional guidelines and requirements.
AVA Dental Referral Clinic may amend this policy from time to time by updating this page and we encourage you to check this page occasionally to ensure you are happy with any changes.
The data controller is Dr Angela Nketia.
Personal data is obtained when a patient joins the practice, is referred to the practice and when a patient subscribes to an email list
We may collect the following information:
- Name and job title
- Contact information including email address
- Demographic information, example post code, preferences and interests
- Other information relevant to patient surveys
- Data including health records for the purpose of delivering health care
Employed staff and self-employed team member management
- Personal data for the purposes of staff and self-employed team member management
- Data including health records and details of criminal record checks for the management of employees and contracted team members
- Personal data for the purposes of [direct mail/email/text/other] marketing
The retention period for data in patient records is a minimum of 10 years after the patient was discharged or last seen or for children until age 25, whichever is the longer. This period may be longer for complex records in order to meet our legal requirements. This practice retains dental records and study models while you are a patient of our practice.
The retention period for staff records is 6 years. The retention periods for other personal data is 3 years after it was last processed.
The lawful basis for the processing of data subjects personal data are:
Legitimate interests: the processing is necessary for your legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of a third party unless there is a good reason to protect the individual’s personal data which overrides those legitimate interests.
Consent: has been given for the processing of personal data for a specific purpose.
Contract: the processing is necessary for the performance of a contract we have with the individual or data subject or to take specific steps before entering into a contract with the individual
Legal obligation: the processing is necessary to comply with the law
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service , and in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping
- We may use the information to improve our products and services
- We may periodically send promotional emails about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided.
- From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, fax or mail. We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests.
- The information you supply is used to populate our patient relationship management system:
- Only the minimum information necessary will be used for this purpose including but not limited to your name, email address and phone number.
- This is information is required in our patient relationship management system so we are able to keep track of your details and contact you with regard to booking your initial appointment and any follow ups thereafter, to get back to you on any questions you have asked, and to inform you or your referring practitioner of any treatments or information which may be relevant to you.
We never pass your personal details to a third party unless we have a contract for them to process data on our behalf and will otherwise keep it confidential.
If we intend to refer a patient to another practitioner or to secondary care such as a hospital, we will gain the individual’s permission before the referral is made and the personal data is shared.
Your data rights
- The right to be informed
- The right of access
- The right to rectification
- The right to erasure (clinical records must be retained for a certain time period)
- The right to restrict processing
- The right to data portability
- The right to object
Withdrawal of consent
After you have given your consent you have a right to withdraw your consent at any time.
Comments, suggestions and complaints
You have a right to complain about how we process your personal data. All complaints concerning personal data should be made in person or in writing to Mr Cliff Mensah. All complaints will be dealt with in line with the practice complaints policy and procedures. Please contact Dr Angela Nketia or Mr Cliff Mensah at [email protected] for a comment, suggestion or a complaint about your data processing. All complaints will be dealt with in line with the practice complaints policy and procedures.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer’s hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used by anybody for direct marketing purposes
- if you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us at [email protected]
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
You may request details of personal information which we hold about. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to AVA Dental Referral Clinic, 5 Christchurch Lane, Barnet, EN5 4PL.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible, at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.